The 2026 NBA Slam Dunk Contest has been widely panned as one of the weakest in recent memory, if not of all time. Every single one of this year’s participants failed to capture the excitement that once defined the event.
The competition featured lesser-known participants like Miami’s Keshad Johnson (who ultimately won with consistent but unspectacular efforts), Spurs rookie Carter Bryant (who notched a perfect 50 on one dunk but faltered later), and Lakers’ Jaxson Hayes (whose underwhelming attempts drew mockery from his own fans).
Then there was Orlando’s Jase Richardson, whose horrifying back-and-head-first fall after clipping the backboard on a botched 360 became the night’s most memorable—and regrettable—moment.
Jase Richardson doing dunks WE’VE NEVER SEEN
— Hater Report (@HaterReport) February 15, 2026
Bouncing your head off the floor is INSANE
THE DUNK CONTEST IS BACK
pic.twitter.com/JMiNXp4hjm
Stephen A. Smith Blames LeBron James for Ruining the Slam Dunk Contest and Its Lack of Star Power in 2026
Aside from the above travesty, the Slam Dunk Contest lacked star power, featured unoriginal dunks, saw repeated misses, showed inconsistent scoring, and overall lacked creativity and energy.
Johnson’s winning dunk was, um … garbage. And he earned more points based on his ridiculous post-dunk dance routines than for the quality of his slams.
Keshad Johnson dunks so bad he gotta dance to distract the judges 😭😭
— Hater Report (@HaterReport) February 15, 2026
pic.twitter.com/NhbeB4mlr8
All of that said, ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith doesn’t find fault with the mediocre talent showing up for the NBA Slam Dunk competition and at least giving it a try.
Nah, he believes it’s LeBron James that is the problem. James has famously refused to participate in the event, which was once won by the GOAT, Michael Jordan.
Smith, in a fiery segment on “First Take,” argued that James, despite being a high-flying superstar who teased participation in past years and routinely showcases dunk-like theatrics in layup lines, never entered the contest, setting a precedent that discouraged other superstars from competing.
By eschewing a once-marquee event, James contributed to its long-term decline from its glory days, which featured icons like Jordan and Vince Carter.
“I’m going to blame LeBron James,” Smith said. “Now, I’ve sat here for months and I’ve applauded his greatness and all the things he had done and he has meant to the NBA, but I’ve said it and I’m going to be very consistent…The person who really is the provocateur to ruin the slam dunk contest is him.”
“He was a superstar who put on a dunk contest every night in the layup line, particularly when he knew there was momentum swelling for him to participate, and he never did. He even teased that he was going to participate one year.”
READ MORE:
It’s not the first time Smith has lambasted LeBron over the Slam Dunk Contest. Or All-Star weekend in general. Last year, the ESPN star took issue with the fact that LeBron canceled on the All-Star game at the last minute, taking away a first-time opportunity for 31-year-old veteran Norman Powell. (Powell got his chance this season.)
“This is fresh off of an All-Star Weekend that he elected not to participate in… He ruined the Slam Dunk Contest because he’s the first superstar that didn’t do it,” Smith criticized at the time.
These are some incredibly harsh words lobbed at LeBron James. But they are the truth. James essentially murdered the Slam Dunk contest and diminished it to a parlor trick with no names by refusing to participate.